Student ‘leveling’ gets a hard look in Manchester
Ryan acknowledged that the trend is controversial, but that it was especially needed in Manchester. The city has come under federal review for disparities between white students and minorities, in particular blacks and Latinos who make up a growing proportion of its student body.
Ryan gave the presentation alongside Superintendent Debra Livingston, who also expressed support for the shift away from advanced-track courses.
Ward 1 board member Sarah Ambrogi said she appreciated the goal of de-tracking, but she said the district needed to go slow and communicate with parents.
Ryan did not offer details of the plan, and he did not respond to a follow-up request from the New Hampshire Union Leader for more information.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches