Home » News » Public Safety
Injured Northfield woman carried off Mount Pemigewasset
LINCOLN — Rescuers carried an injured Northfield woman down Mount Pemigewasset Monday after she fell and injured her leg.
Wendy de Sousa, 48, with a friend, hiked the Indian Head Trail Monday, reaching the summit of Mount Pemigewasset. On descending the mountain, however, de Sousa slipped on the muddy terrain and injured her lower leg. She called 911 for help.
Rescuers reached her about 3 p.m. and carried her about one mile to the trailhead where she was transported by Linwood Ambulance Service to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth for treatment.
"Mrs. de Sousa had the appropriate gear for hiking including the right boots," said conservation officer Jeremy Hawkes. "Unfortunately, with the recent rain and snow melt, the trail conditions continue to vary, and even the most experienced hiker can slip and fall."
De Sousa was carried off the mountain with the help of conservation officers from New Hampshire Fish and Game, members of the Pemi Valley Search and Rescue Team and the Lincoln Fire Department.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
- Weare residents turn out to express police department concerns - 1
- Tamworth man struck, killed by UPS truck - 0
- Two boys rescued from Hood Pond - 1
- Woman killed in Nashua crash - 0
- Wednesday night Derry blaze under investigation - 0
- Gunfire from police range disturbs Plaistow neighbors - 1
- Cause of Ashland fire investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death