Home » News » Public Safety
Injured Northfield woman carried off Mount Pemigewasset
LINCOLN — Rescuers carried an injured Northfield woman down Mount Pemigewasset Monday after she fell and injured her leg.
Wendy de Sousa, 48, with a friend, hiked the Indian Head Trail Monday, reaching the summit of Mount Pemigewasset. On descending the mountain, however, de Sousa slipped on the muddy terrain and injured her lower leg. She called 911 for help.
Rescuers reached her about 3 p.m. and carried her about one mile to the trailhead where she was transported by Linwood Ambulance Service to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth for treatment.
"Mrs. de Sousa had the appropriate gear for hiking including the right boots," said conservation officer Jeremy Hawkes. "Unfortunately, with the recent rain and snow melt, the trail conditions continue to vary, and even the most experienced hiker can slip and fall."
De Sousa was carried off the mountain with the help of conservation officers from New Hampshire Fish and Game, members of the Pemi Valley Search and Rescue Team and the Lincoln Fire Department.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
KSC field hockey first in coaches poll
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner