Nashua OKs payment to developer Stabile for river work
Although the aldermanic Budget Review Committee ultimately approved reimbursing the $100,000 Wednesday, two aldermen voiced opposition. Ward 9's Ken Siegel argued that the entire dam project should be completed before city officials discuss the merits of whether to pay the requested $100,000 for abutment work. Noting that significant tax credits have already been issued for the Cotton Mill Square project, Siegel said the true cost of the abutment work is not actually known.
Mayor Donnalee Lozeau said the city owns the dam, and the unexpected abutment problems discovered during the Stabile project could not be ignored. Lozeau said city officials agreed in good faith to use escrow funds to pay for only the abutment fix, not any of the other dam work.
Alderman David Schoneman, Ward 3, said he considers the abutment work part of the overall dam project, which the city was not obligated to pay.
"I don't see how I can support it," Schoneman said of the $100,000 reimbursement.
Others argued that the city is ultimately responsible for the improvement costs incurred by Stabile during the dam renovations.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Milford Bible study group to meet on Sept. 10 - 0
- Hundreds attend Mass for slain journalist from NH - 1
- St. George Greek Orthodox pastor heads west - 0
- Pope calls Foleys to offer his condolences - 0
- Inaugural organ concert at Wolfeboro church Aug. 27 - 0
- Knights of Columbus assists with Manchester church renovations - 0
- Religion calendar for NH, beginning Aug. 21 - 0
- St. Luke parish in Plaistow to hold yard sale - 0
- Manchester educator explores history of anti-semitism and the Holocaust - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name