Home » News » Politics » State Government
Pre-buy fuel oil protection pushed
The bill will go to the Senate Finance Committee for review before a final vote.
At a public hearing last month, several dealers testified that dealers in financial trouble often solicit contracts in January or February for the next heating season and then use the money to buy fuel for the current heating season.
Under the bill, failure to deliver heating oil under a prepaid contract would be a violation of the Consumer Protection Act that would be in most instances a class B misdemeanor but could be increased to a class A misdemeanor for repeated or gross violations.
He said the real problem is how to secure pre-buy contracts. Despite the changes in the bill, “we’re still left with insufficient security with customers’ money,” he said.
Senate Minority Leader Sylvia Larsen, D-Concord, praised the compromise, adding “home heating pre-paid contracts have been before this body many, many times, but often ran into road blocks.
The bill has already passed the House.
The Senate has until May 15 to take a final vote on the bill.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- St. Margaret of Scotland in Conway to celebrate the Kirkin' of the Tartan - 0
- Local author to talk about soul, spirituality - 0
- Church of Our Saviour to host harp concert following Christmas fair - 0
- Keene church to host talk on fair pay - 0
- Historic bell to ring again at Manchester church - 0
- Right Rev. Mark Dyer, Episcopal bishop and Manchester native, dies at 84 - 0
- Peterborough approves plans for construction of Buddhist temple - 0
- Vendors cry foul as Vatican reins in papal blessings sales - 0
- Grace Ministries to host its annual Christmas Tea - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket