Home » News » Politics » State Government
Pre-buy fuel oil protection pushed
The bill will go to the Senate Finance Committee for review before a final vote.
At a public hearing last month, several dealers testified that dealers in financial trouble often solicit contracts in January or February for the next heating season and then use the money to buy fuel for the current heating season.
Under the bill, failure to deliver heating oil under a prepaid contract would be a violation of the Consumer Protection Act that would be in most instances a class B misdemeanor but could be increased to a class A misdemeanor for repeated or gross violations.
He said the real problem is how to secure pre-buy contracts. Despite the changes in the bill, “we’re still left with insufficient security with customers’ money,” he said.
Senate Minority Leader Sylvia Larsen, D-Concord, praised the compromise, adding “home heating pre-paid contracts have been before this body many, many times, but often ran into road blocks.
The bill has already passed the House.
The Senate has until May 15 to take a final vote on the bill.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Rye insurance expert to be liaison between former LGC subsidiary, state regulator - 0
- Potential deal between ex-LGC subsidiaries, regulators - 0
- HealthTrust's tax-free status still in limbo - 0
- Maine governor bemoans move of 8 child immigrants to his state - 3
- Revenue from gas tax increase ramps up paving state highways - 1
- Executive Council approves Medicaid expansion contract - 0
- 'Aerospace corridor' eyed between Quebec and New England - 0
- Vanity plate rules seek balance - 25
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 9
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 7
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride