Home » News » Politics » State Government
Legislative Roundup: House approves bill to terminate parental rights of rapists
The bill, which has bi-partisan support across the political spectrum, would terminate a man’s parental rights if he is convicted, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to a sexual assault or after a court finds the child was conceived during a rape.
“That is a travesty and continues the victimization of the woman,” she said during debate on the Senate floor last month.
Currently, parental termination is a two-step process. First the court has to find the parent is negligent, abusive or has abandoned the child or other such findings, and then the court has to determine if terminating parental rights is in the best interest of the child. The two-step process would not change.
On a rare unanimous vote, 327-0, the House approved a bill increasing the penalties for human trafficking and giving victims grater opportunity to seek civil damages against the victimizer.
“This bill says in New Hampshire we do not tolerate human trafficking,” said Cushing, “and we find it abhorrent.”
Sex abuse prevention
On a 214-107 vote, the House approved a bill establishing a commission to study sexual abuse prevention in elementary and secondary schools, both current practices and what can be done to improve programs.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice - 30
- Jasper censure cites 'breach of trust' - 0
- Starting Jan. 1, NH elderly and disabled have more protection - 0
- GOP committee: Censure Speaker for Dems' help in winning post - 38
- Drone legislation again to get NH House attention - 0
- Funding to Planned Parenthood jumps three-fold in two years - 2
- State GOP chairman Horn will seek another term - 0
- O'Brien backers will lead committees for new Speaker - 2
- Jasper taps Douglas as House counsel - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 0
- Standing up for Salvation: Ringing the bell in the cold is a tough job - 0
- Man charged in Manchester stabbing - 1
- Hampstead home invasion suspect wants evidence tossed - 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 0
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose