Home » News » Politics » State Government
Legislative Roundup: House approves bill to terminate parental rights of rapists
The bill, which has bi-partisan support across the political spectrum, would terminate a man’s parental rights if he is convicted, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to a sexual assault or after a court finds the child was conceived during a rape.
“That is a travesty and continues the victimization of the woman,” she said during debate on the Senate floor last month.
Currently, parental termination is a two-step process. First the court has to find the parent is negligent, abusive or has abandoned the child or other such findings, and then the court has to determine if terminating parental rights is in the best interest of the child. The two-step process would not change.
On a rare unanimous vote, 327-0, the House approved a bill increasing the penalties for human trafficking and giving victims grater opportunity to seek civil damages against the victimizer.
“This bill says in New Hampshire we do not tolerate human trafficking,” said Cushing, “and we find it abhorrent.”
Sex abuse prevention
On a 214-107 vote, the House approved a bill establishing a commission to study sexual abuse prevention in elementary and secondary schools, both current practices and what can be done to improve programs.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- 10 legislators to watch in this coming session - 0
- State Employees Association declares impasse in bargaining - 20
- House Rules Committee rejects majority leader vote, OKs letting lawmakers carry guns - 0
- Majority leader sees GOP rift healing after Jan. 7 - 11
- Official House GOP caucus begins setting goals - 0
- Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice - 30
- Jasper censure cites 'breach of trust' - 0
- Starting Jan. 1, NH elderly and disabled have more protection - 0
- GOP committee: Censure Speaker for Dems' help in winning post - 38
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm