Two left dead after Nashua double shooting, suicideKIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader Correspondent
May 03. 2014 11:47AM
NASHUA -- A Nashua man accused of shooting two people and killing one of them on a city street Friday afternoon is now dead from an apparent suicide, according to authorities.
Police believe that Carlos Alago-Collazo, 34, of Nashua, shot the mother of his two children, Mireily Rodriguez-Torres, 32, of Nashua, and Andres Garcia, 35, of Hudson.
According to Attorney General Joseph Foster, both victims were shot multiple times with a handgun about 4:14 p.m. on Friday outside of 14 Merrimack Street.
Garcia died from his injuries early Saturday morning, while Rodriguez-Torres is expected to survive, according to a release. She has been admitted to a Boston hospital.
Authorities said that Alago-Collazo and Rodriguez-Torres “had been involved in a long term relationship and had two children together,” said a statement from the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office.
Police have not yet said whether there was any altercation or disturbance prior to the shooting, or what may have prompted the incident. Lt. Francis Sullivan of the Nashua Police Department said the investigation is still in the early stages, and he would not elaborate on whether it was a drive-by shooting.
Following the Friday afternoon shootings, police began searching for Alago-Collazo, issuing alerts to neighboring police departments to be on the look out for his vehicle. He was eventually located using cell phone information by authorities in Lawrence, Mass.
Police found him in a parked vehicle outside of 626 Essex St. in Lawrence, Mass., where he had apparently committed suicide, according to Foster.
Nashua police said Friday that the shootings were not random, but rather the couple was targeted.
Autopsies are expected to be completed on Garcia and Alago-Collazo, and the incident is continuing to be investigated.
Police in Lawrence, Mass. referred questions to the Essex County District Attorney's Office, which was not immediately available on Saturday. New Hampshire authorities said no further updates are expected until next week.