Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Portsmouth home care worker admits to criminal restraint of male patient
John Riley, 42, of Milton pleaded guilty in Rockingham County Superior Court on Monday to a felony count of criminal restraint.
Riley was accused of forcing the 35-year-old man into a sex act on Nov. 2, 2012, following a Halloween-themed dance hosted by Living Innovations offices in Portsmouth. The incident happened in a Portsmouth parking lot.
The victim, now 36, has withdrawn from receiving any services from the care provider.
The man’s mother told a judge on Monday that her son had been victimized twice before, but was told the cases were “un-prosecutable” because of her son’s mental capacity, according to Harrington.
Those charges were dropped by prosecutors as part of Monday’s plea agreement. The sex assault charges carried potential state prison sentences of up to 10 to 20 years.
Riley will have to undergo a sex offender evaluation once he is released from prison, but he will not be required to register with the state.
Soldati harshly criticized Portsmouth police, saying a key piece of evidence – a cell phone owned by the victim – was never analyzed as part of the investigation and later destroyed by a family member of the victim.
Soldati had requested permission from a judge for access to the cell phone so it could be forensically analyzed by a defense expert, according to court records.
“There were significant evidentiary issues in this case,” Harrington said.
Harrington also said she did have concerns about the victim’s ability to testify, even though he was willing to go forward with the trial.
Allegations about Riley’s behavior with a 24-year-old Lee man were cited in a civil lawsuit filed in March.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge OKs early release for former teacher convicted of possessing child porn - 0
- Nashua man indicted for allegedly shooting girlfriend - 0
- Manchester 7-Eleven robbed for fourth time - 0
- Manchester couple faces robbery, theft charges after Salem mall incident - 1
- Chainsaw-wielding man facing multiple charges over Sept. incident - 0
- Woman faces assault charge after Monopoly game gets out of hand - 17
- Plea deal gives shooter 15-30 years in 2012 death of Manchester man - 0
- Missouri governor urges calm ahead of grand jury decision on shooting; findings to be announced at 9 p.m. - 0
- Two Manchester brothers indicted in Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 1
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 3
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 5
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483