Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Portsmouth home care worker admits to criminal restraint of male patient
John Riley, 42, of Milton pleaded guilty in Rockingham County Superior Court on Monday to a felony count of criminal restraint.
Riley was accused of forcing the 35-year-old man into a sex act on Nov. 2, 2012, following a Halloween-themed dance hosted by Living Innovations offices in Portsmouth. The incident happened in a Portsmouth parking lot.
The victim, now 36, has withdrawn from receiving any services from the care provider.
The man’s mother told a judge on Monday that her son had been victimized twice before, but was told the cases were “un-prosecutable” because of her son’s mental capacity, according to Harrington.
Those charges were dropped by prosecutors as part of Monday’s plea agreement. The sex assault charges carried potential state prison sentences of up to 10 to 20 years.
Riley will have to undergo a sex offender evaluation once he is released from prison, but he will not be required to register with the state.
Soldati harshly criticized Portsmouth police, saying a key piece of evidence – a cell phone owned by the victim – was never analyzed as part of the investigation and later destroyed by a family member of the victim.
Soldati had requested permission from a judge for access to the cell phone so it could be forensically analyzed by a defense expert, according to court records.
“There were significant evidentiary issues in this case,” Harrington said.
Harrington also said she did have concerns about the victim’s ability to testify, even though he was willing to go forward with the trial.
Allegations about Riley’s behavior with a 24-year-old Lee man were cited in a civil lawsuit filed in March.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Three more arrested in connection to Keene riots - 0
- Former court security officer pleads guilty to sexual assault - 0
- Two arrestesd for allegedly scamming motorists buying gas in Rochester - 0
- Londonderry police assisting in investigation of violent Maine home invasion - 1
- Man stealing wine threatens clerk of Manchester 7-Eleven with knife - 0
- Man charged in Manchester stabbing - 1
- Hampstead home invasion suspect wants evidence tossed - 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs hope to wrap two wins - 0
- College Football: These Redbirds can run and pass - 0
- Bedford pizza restaurant gets surprise makeover from Eastern Bank - 0
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 0
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 0
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- College Basketball: UNH women top Dartmouth - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Exeter skates past Trinity - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Memorial solid in win over Hanover - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed
Convicted murderer entitled to hearing on new DNA evidence after 42 years, Supreme Court rules
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483