Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Ex-Portsmouth home care worker admits to criminal restraint of male patient
John Riley, 42, of Milton pleaded guilty in Rockingham County Superior Court on Monday to a felony count of criminal restraint.
Riley was accused of forcing the 35-year-old man into a sex act on Nov. 2, 2012, following a Halloween-themed dance hosted by Living Innovations offices in Portsmouth. The incident happened in a Portsmouth parking lot.
The victim, now 36, has withdrawn from receiving any services from the care provider.
The man’s mother told a judge on Monday that her son had been victimized twice before, but was told the cases were “un-prosecutable” because of her son’s mental capacity, according to Harrington.
Those charges were dropped by prosecutors as part of Monday’s plea agreement. The sex assault charges carried potential state prison sentences of up to 10 to 20 years.
Riley will have to undergo a sex offender evaluation once he is released from prison, but he will not be required to register with the state.
Soldati harshly criticized Portsmouth police, saying a key piece of evidence – a cell phone owned by the victim – was never analyzed as part of the investigation and later destroyed by a family member of the victim.
Soldati had requested permission from a judge for access to the cell phone so it could be forensically analyzed by a defense expert, according to court records.
“There were significant evidentiary issues in this case,” Harrington said.
Harrington also said she did have concerns about the victim’s ability to testify, even though he was willing to go forward with the trial.
Allegations about Riley’s behavior with a 24-year-old Lee man were cited in a civil lawsuit filed in March.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Driver overdosing on heroin causes crash - 0
- Deliberations begin in trial of former Derry man accused of sex assault - 0
- Mazzaglia pleads guilty to devising escape plan - 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bedford used pick-six to beat Central - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bishop Guertin completes miracle, makes playoffs with win over Nashua South - 0
- NHIAA Football Roundup: Souhegan closes out season with a win - 0
- NHIAA Football: Londonderry edges Salem in wild finish - 0
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs
School's out for voters
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483