Thomas Sowell: Demonizing the helpers
It was painful to watch a well-known historian of education on a TV talk show recently, denouncing people from “Wall Street” who have promoted alternatives to the failing public schools. Apparently, in some circles, you can just say the words “Wall Street” and that proves that something evil is being done.
Instead, you get statements like that from the head of the American Federation of Teachers, saying, “they’re trying to create an alternative system and destabilize what has been the anchor of American democracy.”
One of the claims is that these alternative schools drain money from the public schools. But expenditures per pupil in the public schools have risen during the era of the spread of alternative schools.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester airport stalls wrecking ball looming over farmhouse - 1
- Gorham property auction may help town tax rolls - 0
- Nashua board questions alcohol sales at performances at auditorium in middle school - 0
- Derry property maintenance ordinance would target unsightly downtown areas - 0
- Unexpected costs for Durham Town Hall project put freeze on other projects in town - 0
- Residents invited to meet new Derry Administrator Stearns - 0
- Londonderry workforce housing project clears ZBA - 2
- Nashua board encourages public to weigh in during upcoming budget debates - 0
- Chief tells board that West High pellet gun incident points to lessons learned - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?