Thomas Sowell: Demonizing the helpers
It was painful to watch a well-known historian of education on a TV talk show recently, denouncing people from “Wall Street” who have promoted alternatives to the failing public schools. Apparently, in some circles, you can just say the words “Wall Street” and that proves that something evil is being done.
Instead, you get statements like that from the head of the American Federation of Teachers, saying, “they’re trying to create an alternative system and destabilize what has been the anchor of American democracy.”
One of the claims is that these alternative schools drain money from the public schools. But expenditures per pupil in the public schools have risen during the era of the spread of alternative schools.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town Hall hours in Salem up for debate - 0
- Coos County tax bills headed to unincorporated places - 0
- Tentative deal for old Manchester police station - 4
- Utility pole licensing changes could raise rates in Derry - 0
- Derry councilor wants to begin budget discussion - 0
- Major development approved in Merrimack - 1
- Weare residents turn out to discuss police department concerns - 1
- Manchester, Uber headed for a collision over taxi regulations? - 18
- Fitch lowers Manchester's bond rating - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- One killed in Wednesday morning crash on I-89 in Warner - 0
- Police say Franklin man and woman facing charge of attempted prostitution of a minor - 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 3
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection