Families benefit from St. Anselm students’ drive
Colin Kiley makes some snack bags to be distributed as student deliver donated clothes and furnishing to families in need around Manchester. (JULIE HANSON/Union Leader Correspondent)
“It’s the best thing we do on campus,” said Kellie Hennessey, a senior nursing major.
The students worked with local agencies including Families in Transition, Manchester Child and Family Services and the International Institute of New Hampshire to find families who can use the items. Deliveries will continue to be made today.
Delivery day makes all the work worthwhile, said Shaun O’Halloran.
Occasionally, the recipients give back in surprising ways. O’Halloran recalls making a delivery last year in the team’s brightly colored T-shirt and leaving some toys for a boy and his sisters. The children flagged O’Halloran down later that day as he was making another delivery and left a hand-made note saying “Dear neon people … from the kids you gave the stuff to … thanks.”
The annual drive takes place during finals week, but the students make time to make the project a success. The extra effort is worth it, said Elizabeth Duffy.
The drive was started nine years ago by students who realized the need in their own backyard and took action. It remains an entirely student-run program funded through donations. The students said they couldn’t do it without the support of the alumni, faculty and staff.
The Goffstown News
100 William Loeb Drive
Manchester, NH 03109
Neighborhood News publications can be found at a newsstand near you here.
News, Obituaries, Sports & Social Announcements
Thomas Caldwell, Editor
Email ads to firstname.lastname@example.org
Classified advertising: 603-669-1010
Display advertising: 603-668-4321
Print rate card | Digital rate card
Please use our online form at www.nh365.org
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
3 quit Manchester schools panel in protest over deal with feds to allow violent student's return
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm