Report details ‘substandard’ Manchester housing
The report author, Susan Bruce, said landlords do what’s minimally needed to pass three-year inspections. The total of outstanding tax bills for two of the landlords exceed $500,000.
“We want to be a team player. We don’t want to be the enemy,” she said. A reporter was unable to reach the other landlords named in the report — Mohamed Mobeen’s Fair Deal Enterprises; Donald T. Jsirandanis, and Formosa Co.
The organizations said they started speaking to center city residents in 2008 about housing conditions. They visited apartments, and they reviewed housing inspection files.
The Way Home’s Rick Castillo said the most troubling aspect of substandard housing is child lead poisoning. In 2013, two city children were hospitalized for lead poisoning and had to undero a dangerous procedure to remove lead poisons, one of them twice. The report recommended that lead detection be part of the city’s inspection process.
He’s stopped paying his $850 monthly rent. “My main concern is the (bed)bugs. They freak me out,” he said.
Perdue said Marte is upset with Perdue because he can’t make his rent payments. She did not believe he was withholding rent.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Central buddies play on - 1
- DIY addition draws city's, neighbors' ire - 6
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Negroni family lays claim to namesake cocktail - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: West Side neighborhood loses trees and backyard privacy for the summer - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Southside Middle School, where nary a gripe will be heard - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Take a walk through Manchester's history - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Building owner says it's not easy being a landlord - 2
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: 50 years later, a constant ringing - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: It's a show, it's a sport, and it's tough - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride