Report details ‘substandard’ Manchester housing
The report author, Susan Bruce, said landlords do what’s minimally needed to pass three-year inspections. The total of outstanding tax bills for two of the landlords exceed $500,000.
“We want to be a team player. We don’t want to be the enemy,” she said. A reporter was unable to reach the other landlords named in the report — Mohamed Mobeen’s Fair Deal Enterprises; Donald T. Jsirandanis, and Formosa Co.
The organizations said they started speaking to center city residents in 2008 about housing conditions. They visited apartments, and they reviewed housing inspection files.
The Way Home’s Rick Castillo said the most troubling aspect of substandard housing is child lead poisoning. In 2013, two city children were hospitalized for lead poisoning and had to undero a dangerous procedure to remove lead poisons, one of them twice. The report recommended that lead detection be part of the city’s inspection process.
He’s stopped paying his $850 monthly rent. “My main concern is the (bed)bugs. They freak me out,” he said.
Perdue said Marte is upset with Perdue because he can’t make his rent payments. She did not believe he was withholding rent.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Tough task for NH budget writers - 16
- A kinder, gentler House Speaker? - 21
- State's treasury chief will seek a full term from Legislature - 0
- GOP gives nod to Bill O'Brien's return as House speaker - 48
- Advocates want more money from liquor sales to treat addiction - 0
- GOP and Democrats each pick up a seat in recounts - 0
- Bedford’s Sanborn drops out of NH House Speaker race - 0
- Merrill replaces Flanders as NH Senate Chief of Staff - 0
- Gov. Hassan wants a 'thoughtful, careful' budget - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket