Bedford mother recalls harrowing days after twins' birth
Finnerty, her husband, Steve, and twins Caitlyn and Keegan are the 2014 New Hampshire Ambassador Family for the March of Dimes. They credit the Granite State chapter of the organization with providing support during those difficult first few weeks.
"I was honestly freaking out," said Steve. "They were so small, I was thinking how could they possibly survive?"
Keegan, born two minutes after Caitlyn, also needed artificial surfactant and chest compressions to keep him alive. He was also hooked up to a ventilator and listed in critical condition.
The parents shared the duties of feeding, bathing, changing diapers and learning how to care for their micro-preemies. Caitlyn would eventually undergo surgery in Boston at the Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center. Amy said Steve's co-workers at the Federal Aviation Administration center in Nashua took part in a program whereby they donated vacation hours to him so he could help with the babies.
"We decided to apply to be the ambassador family, and we were picked," said Steve.
"We want to go to events and tell anyone who wants to know to become more involved with March of Dimes," Amy said. "I tell my story and talk about how the March of Dimes has helped us. We know because of the March of Dimes our twins are here today. We want to give back."
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.