Daniel Webster grads urged to reach for milestones
While congratulating the graduating class, Diffily said it is also appropriate to recognize the sacrifices made by loved ones who help made their journey a reality.
Graduating from college is not an easy feat, according to Baird, who said the monumental event should be celebrated in earnest. A continuous battle of decisions have led to today's honor, he said, adding the ride has now come to an end.
"We are capable of conquering anything," Baird told his fellow classmates.
A posthumous degree was awarded to Sebastian Abt, a computer science major from Brookline who died in a car crash last November. Class valedictorian was Shane Cale O'Day, and the commencement address was given by Nashua Mayor Donnalee Lozeau, who was given a surprise doctorate of public service degree.
The sky is the limit, she said, acknowledging that it takes courage to grow up and become a person of value and not just success."It is OK if you haven't figured it all out yet," said Lozeau, noting that even the most thought-out plans have unexpected twists and turns. "Life is a mix of challenges and delightful surprises."Most important, she told them, is to not be afraid of change and to not take their education for granted.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Spanish exchange students feel welcomed at Pinkerton Academy - 0
- Sandown school board member demands surveillance video in letter to superintendent - 2
- Campbell High celebrates a national distinction - 0
- Central High fair to feature admissions officers - 0
- Nashua board reviews eligibility for school sports and clubs - 0
- Nashua fourth-graders show significant gains in science - 0
- UNH math professor earns prestigious MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- School emergency notification system to launch in Londonderry - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
- May the best grocery bagger win - 0
- 7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway - 0
- Sex assault charges dropped against Lebanon man - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
3 men sentenced in Bristol robbery
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem