Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Crunch time for fixing Medicaid tax woes
The committee took longtime member Rep. Neal Kurk's suggestion and approved both amendments. The Weare Republican said that would give conference committee members more alternatives to work with when they begin negotiations.
No one believes a final solution is possible in the time left this session, but a short-term fix is almost a necessity or the next budget becomes even more difficult to balance, and the bond rating agencies are watching.
- - - - - - - - -
Social Media: There is no better example of the kinds of games that are played this time of year between the House and Senate than several bills dealing with social media accounts and what employers and educational institutions can or cannot require employees or students to do with their accounts.
The Senate took that provision out before approving HB 1200. The House took the Senate bill and added the restrictions for kindergarten to 12th grade.
Similar shenanigans occurred with bills dealing with what employers can require of employees and their social media accounts.
The House amended Senate Bill 283, which deals with funds obtained by the attorney general, to put 10 percent of settlements over $1 million in the state's general fund.
- - - - - - -
Sex Offenders: Election year politics may have gotten in the way of a little common sense.
Two courts have told Dover and Franklin that restricting where sex offenders can live is unconstitutional.
House Bill 1237 would have made it easier for communities to say "No" when pressure mounted for such ordinances. The bill would have prohibited local ordinances with sex offender restrictions.
This is not the first time the Senate has killed such a prohibition, but supporters believed this session was the best opportunity for passage in some time.
There is nothing like election-year politics.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Banner year for victims' advocates - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Rainy day blues - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: State revenue picture still unclear until later this year - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Buffer zone ruling by U.S. Supreme Court fuels abortion feud - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Democrats and Republicans parties round out their next tickets in NH - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: NH legislative session winding to a close - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Saying goodbye - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: So many NH legislative bills get left at the roadside - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate