Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Crunch time for fixing Medicaid tax woes
The committee took longtime member Rep. Neal Kurk's suggestion and approved both amendments. The Weare Republican said that would give conference committee members more alternatives to work with when they begin negotiations.
No one believes a final solution is possible in the time left this session, but a short-term fix is almost a necessity or the next budget becomes even more difficult to balance, and the bond rating agencies are watching.
- - - - - - - - -
Social Media: There is no better example of the kinds of games that are played this time of year between the House and Senate than several bills dealing with social media accounts and what employers and educational institutions can or cannot require employees or students to do with their accounts.
The Senate took that provision out before approving HB 1200. The House took the Senate bill and added the restrictions for kindergarten to 12th grade.
Similar shenanigans occurred with bills dealing with what employers can require of employees and their social media accounts.
The House amended Senate Bill 283, which deals with funds obtained by the attorney general, to put 10 percent of settlements over $1 million in the state's general fund.
- - - - - - -
Sex Offenders: Election year politics may have gotten in the way of a little common sense.
Two courts have told Dover and Franklin that restricting where sex offenders can live is unconstitutional.
House Bill 1237 would have made it easier for communities to say "No" when pressure mounted for such ordinances. The bill would have prohibited local ordinances with sex offender restrictions.
This is not the first time the Senate has killed such a prohibition, but supporters believed this session was the best opportunity for passage in some time.
There is nothing like election-year politics.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Expect casino push to be all the talk - 8
- Gary Rayno's State House Dome: A winter of discontent over energy costs - 2
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Past issues expected to come to the fore - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Road back to Senate anything but smooth - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Which party controls the state Senate is up for grab - 2
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Getting on the ballot requires a lot of ink - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Far-reaching implications of 'legal standings' - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Contribution, expenditure reports show wide range - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: The 'numbers' say it's an election year - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs