Family, Bedford community mourn boy who 'pushed us to do so much'
Nicholas Dainiak of Bedford gets a hit in this 2010 photo with his mom, Heather Dainiak, during a Challenger Division game at the Bedford Little League facility. (UNION LEADER FILE)
The Bedford boy died Friday, the day of his 11th birthday, after battling pneumonia last week, said Heather Dainiak, Nicholas’ mother. He had been diagnosed at age 5 with Batten disease.
All afternoon, friends and acquaintances offered condolences and stopped for a moment at a small shrine. Included in the mementos were a picture of a grinning Nicholas and a blue blanket decked with baseballs.
“There wasn’t anything he couldn’t do,” said Dorothy Noyes, Nicholas’ grandmother. “As he slowed down, he really didn’t seem to notice. He never complained.”
Nicholas was healthy enough to be part of some of the early fundraisers, including the “Fore! Nicholas” golf tournament. The sixth annual event will be held June 21 at Stonebridge Country Club in Goffstown.
Shane’s specialty was the ability to sense when Nicholas was about to have a seizure.
The New Hampshire Make-a-Wish Foundation and the Manchester Fire Department, which raised $12,500, helped acquire Shane in 2010.
A picture of the two, with Nicholas grinning, was among the photos on display during the calling hours.
The family knew for more than half Nicholas’ life that the boy’s time would be limited to childhood.
“We knew it was coming. I feel like we were grieving after he was diagnosed. He pushed us to do so much,” Heather Dainiak said. “He really turned our lives around to be selfless. That brought our community together.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride