Nashua officials: Failure to fix millyard chimney could be costly
Last week, the aldermanic finance committee recommended spending $762,300 to reinforce the chimney at its existing height of 165 feet.
According to Deane, it could cost between $300,000 and $500,000 to dispose of the chimney that stands in the middle of the Nashua Millyard. Deane said there are other unknown costs associated with removing the chimney.
Mayor Donnalee Lozeau echoed those concerns, saying the record of decision for the parkway could be reopened by federal regulators, and the city could be forced to undergo a new historical mitigation project if the chimney is not preserved as originally planned.
To date, about $2 million in historical components for the Broad Street Parkway have already been spent, according to Lozeau.
The Millyard chimney, which has been owned by the city since 1991, is part of the system that powered the mills with steam about a century ago. The Millyard — including its chimney — has been recognized by the National Register of Historic Places because of its start in 1826.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Manchester mayor seeks to restrict use of park - 11
- Rockingham County attorney candidates talk leadership at forum - 3
- Salem town manager dispute still not settled - 0
- At meeting, no resistance to tax cap amendment proposal - 1
- SNHU and NHIA say they’ll delay merger - 2
- Derry council’s town administrator applicant deadline passes - 0
- Rockingham County Attorney race forum set - 0
- Tree talk divides Nashua officials - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three teens sent to area hospitals after crash on Blackwater Road at Rochester-Dover border - 0
- Neighborhood group presents award to Manchester police - 0
- Good Samaritans track down man accused of stealing purse - 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS leads police to truck; vehicle breaks lead to arrest - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
- Red Sox held to one hit as Angels coast to win - 0
- Market Basket: Analysts point to debt - 0
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen