All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Auburn fire displaces seven

Union Leader Correspondent

May 12. 2014 4:07PM
Local firefighters from more than seven local departments responded to a two-alarm fire at 803 Chester Road in Auburn Monday. RYAN O'CONNOR 

AUBURN – No one was injured, but seven Auburn residents have been temporarily displaced as a result of a two-alarm fire that caused significant damage to their 803 Chester Road home Monday.

"Right now, we're in the early stages of investigation, but it appears the fire was started from a candle left unattended on the third floor," said Auburn Fire Chief Bruce Phillips. "There was someone home at the time when the fire alarm started going off. When they investigated, the house started filling with smoke.

"When we arrived, we had heavy smoke coming from the third floor, and we subsequently struck two alarms because of the remote location," he said.

Phillips estimated the total damages to the three-story structure somewhere between $50,000 to $60,000, and he said his department has reached out to the American Red Cross to help the family.

The fire was called in around 1:40 p.m. and had been knocked down shortly after 2.

"The guys did a great job," said Phillips. "We have automatic response in this area, and being daytime and all, everyone got in, worked very well together, and got the fire extinguished rather quickly."

Auburn firefighters received mutual aid from Candia, Chester, Deerfield, Derry, Hampstead, Hooksett, Manchester and Sandown, among other departments.

Public Safety Auburn

More Headlines

Manchester fire displaces 7