Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Authorities investigate cemetery vandalism in Colebrook
While not identifying whose body was in the below-ground vault, Jules Kennett, who chairs the Colebrook board of selectmen, on Tuesday extended his and the town's condolences to the family.
“This is a very heinous event that happened here and we are in hopes that we can apprehend the individuals who are responsible and deal with this through the court system,” said Kennett, who added that the Colebrook Police Department – which referred inquiries to Kennett - is handling the investigation.
Kennett asked anyone with information about the vandalism to contact Colebrook Police at 237-4487.
According to Kennett, selectmen learned about the incident from Town Manager Becky Merrow at Monday's selectmen's meeting. Merrow also informed selectmen she had filed a claim with the town's insurer for $7,000 to repair the damage caused by the vandal or vandals.
Kennett said the vandalism occurred sometime between Sunday evening and early Monday morning. He added that in his 32 years as a resident of Colebrook, nothing like what happened this past weekend had never occurred in any “way, shape or form” in town before.
Merrow said the vandalism was reported by someone who entered the cemetery, which is located on U.S. Route 3 at the northern edge of the village, on Monday morning.
A department of the town, the cemetery is one of three overseen by the Colebrook cemetery trustees and according to the town's website, the “bulk” of the trust funds are dedicated there.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 1
- Man charged with robbing Rochester bank while wearing zebra-print dress is arraigned - 0
- Judge hikes bail in sex assault, child porn case - 0
- Judge declines to order mistrial in Derry sex assault case - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Police say homeless man stole car, struck pedestrian - 0
- Police investigating pizza store burglary in Plaistow - 0
- Salem police searching for Dunkin Donuts robber who wore Obama Halloween mask - 2
- Information sought in Keene hair salon burglary attempt - 0
- Two men arrested in Nashua armed robbery - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge plans to release GT Advanced Technologies documents critical of Apple - 0
- Dover police say man broke into same business three times - 0
- Derry's tax rate drops as property valuations increase - 0
- Maine nurse defies state Ebola quarantine, leaves home - 9
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 2
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 26
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 3
Trump fired up over NH mailer
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483