Home » News » Public Safety
Anthony Bean Burpee named new police chief in Gilford
Burpee replaces former Chief Kevin Keenan, who resigned on Nov. 20 following a town investigation into an affair he acknowledged having with a female officer in the department.
Burpee annual salary will be $78,400.
Burpee is a police lieutenant in Kennebunk, Maine, where he has served since 1998, rising through the ranks after working as a summer police officer on the beach, according to Town Administrator Scott Dunn.
He has a bachelor’s of science degree in criminal justice from Southern Vermont College. He has two master’s degrees, one in public administration and another in criminal justice, from Suffolk University in Boston, Dunn said.
“He intends to enhance the community presence of the Gilford Police Department by improving citizen relationships, increasing public trust and taking pro-active steps to deter crime.”
Burpee was selected from a pool of 47 candidates after being vetted by a citizen search panel and the 2013 and 2014 town boards of selectmen.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man injured in Ohio helicopter crash - 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, Sudanese family arriving in Manchester tonight - 1
- Pembroke couple recovering from injuries in Dixville ATV crash - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 5
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us