Home » News » Politics » State Government
Governor asks for spending freeze
She issued an executive order for the freeze and will ask the Joint Legislative Fiscal Committee to approve the order at its meeting next week.
The governor’s office said the decreases appear to be related to changes in the state tax code in recent years, as well as businesses applying for various tax credits and carry-forwards accrued during the recession.
“As we further analyze revenues, I will be meeting with agencies to examine additional reductions, some of which may require legislative approval,” Hassan wrote.
Like the executive order Lynch issued, Hassan allows state departments to request waivers for special circumstances.
Senate President Chuck Morse said he welcomes the governor’s executive order and her recognition the state has to restrict spending.
“The House will join the governor in her efforts by taking belt-tightening measures,” Norelli said.
The political parties also got into the fray.
Hassan said her office and department heads continue to meet with hospitals and lawmakers to discuss solutions.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former Fitzwilliam police chief's lawsuit against the town dismissed - 0
- Nashua panel wants details on proposed site for city's new public health building - 0
- Sunapee officials say they don't plan to build housing - 1
- Merrimack considering assistant town manager - 0
- Lakes Region commission sees less growth in region - 1
- Cheshire commissioners to gather public opinion on county nursing home plans - 0
- Nashua group recommends new police contract - 0
- Upper Valley deer population talk on tap - 0
- Waterville Valley nearing completion of water system upgrade and first public works garage - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you