Mark Hayward's City Matters: 50 years later, a constant ringing
It gives us stories with nice, tidy endings. Columbus discovers America. United States wins the war. The country elects Kennedy president.
No unknowns, like in science. There is no mysterious Higgs boson in Gen. John Stark’s decisive role in the Battle of Bennington, no missing link to the three-day battle of Gettysburg.
“It’s kind of sad, because to me that represents someone’s accomplishments,” Labbe said. “Somebody wore this with pride back in 1964.”
Feren didn’t get a ring, nor did her high school sweetheart, whom she ended up marrying. “Obviously, it wasn’t a big deal for the group we were in,” she said.
Labbe noted the ring doesn’t show a lot of wear. Perhaps it was in a jewelry box. Had it been quickly stolen and then tossed? If so, he found no other jewelry nearby.
But could it have slipped off his ring finger? No, it only fit on his pinky finger. Could it have slipped off that? No, it was tight even on the pinky, he said.
That’s why Labbe, who calls history his avocation, wants to find the owner. Feren estimates that 32 graduates have already died, another 50 can’t be found.
Mark Hayward’s City Matters runs Thursdays in the New Hampshire Union Leader and UnionLeader.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Drew Cline: Bob Smith's three 'p's': Principle, platform, party - 4
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 18
- Drew Cline: Dan Innis is no political lightweight - 3
- Drew Cline: A Libertarian plays devil's advocate in U.S. Senate race - 3
- Drew Cline: Eric Cantor, 'Game of Thrones,' and the selling of NH politics - 15
- Drew Cline: In the State House, a weakening check on NH government - 1
- Drew Cline: Street cred and endorsements in the U.S. Senate primary - 2
- Drew Cline: Will Derry provide Senate Republican primary fireworks again? - 2
- Drew Cline: Rubio backs Brown, takes on Jeb (Bush); Bragdon keeps options open - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches