Mark Hayward's City Matters: 50 years later, a constant ringing
It gives us stories with nice, tidy endings. Columbus discovers America. United States wins the war. The country elects Kennedy president.
No unknowns, like in science. There is no mysterious Higgs boson in Gen. John Stark’s decisive role in the Battle of Bennington, no missing link to the three-day battle of Gettysburg.
“It’s kind of sad, because to me that represents someone’s accomplishments,” Labbe said. “Somebody wore this with pride back in 1964.”
Feren didn’t get a ring, nor did her high school sweetheart, whom she ended up marrying. “Obviously, it wasn’t a big deal for the group we were in,” she said.
Labbe noted the ring doesn’t show a lot of wear. Perhaps it was in a jewelry box. Had it been quickly stolen and then tossed? If so, he found no other jewelry nearby.
But could it have slipped off his ring finger? No, it only fit on his pinky finger. Could it have slipped off that? No, it was tight even on the pinky, he said.
That’s why Labbe, who calls history his avocation, wants to find the owner. Feren estimates that 32 graduates have already died, another 50 can’t be found.
Mark Hayward’s City Matters runs Thursdays in the New Hampshire Union Leader and UnionLeader.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Rockingham County attorney candidates talk leadership at forum - 3
- Salem town manager dispute still not settled - 0
- At meeting, no resistance to tax cap amendment proposal - 1
- SNHU and NHIA say they’ll delay merger - 2
- Derry council’s town administrator applicant deadline passes - 0
- Rockingham County Attorney race forum set - 0
- Tree talk divides Nashua officials - 0
- Bridge Street project developers in Nashua to seek alternative financing - 0
- Nashua aldermen seeking developers for downtown area - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m