Local preference ordinance vote delayed in Nashua
The Board of Aldermen voted to send the drafted ordinance, spearheaded by Alderman Ken Siegel, Ward 9, back to an aldermanic committee for additional debate and analysis.
While Alderman-at-Large Brian McCarthy said he is sympathetic to the issue, he maintained that the proposed ordinance may have unintended consequences that might not benefit the city.
Siegel contended that the proposal is a good thing, and seems to be supported by the majority of the local business community.
According to Siegel’s proposed ordinance, which is being co-sponsored by three other aldermen, a local preference shall be applied to all requests for bids, requests for proposals and requests for quotes for the purchase of goods or services, or for the award of concession contracts.
While the intent may be good, Alderman-at-Large Diane Sheehan said the wording of the proposed ordinance is a concern, suggesting that it be returned to an aldermanic committee for more study. The board agreed.
READER COMMENTS: 26
- Drew Cline: In New Hampshire, 'hope and change' has become 'duck and run' - 26
- Drew Cline: Bill Gardner knows that voter fraud happens in New Hampshire. - 13
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 22
- Drew Cline: A few takeaways from Tuesday's Republican primaries - 4
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 3
- Drew Cline: NH's campaign finance laws are a nonsensical mess - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 6
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four