Residents demand Wolfeboro Police Commissioner's resignation for slur
Many people wore handmade stickers bearing the word “Resign.” Others carried signs, including one saying, “Shame on You.”
He added: “Your job as I understand it is to create an environment that supports public safety. I feel less safe in this community if those remarks are part of our elected official’s opinion.”
“I’d like to ask you Mr. Copeland, what do you mean by this?”
John R. White’s comments received applause from the audience.
Copeland had some defenders.
Frank Bader said Copeland was expressing his opinion. “All this man did was express his displeasure with the man who’s in office,” Bader said.
“Why is the N-word so offensive to so many people? The N-word is used in ‘Tom Sawyer’ and ‘Huck Finn,’” Stockton said.
Commission Chairman Joe Balboni closed the hearing after about an hour and said the commission was going into nonpublic session.
“I’m going to think about what’s going on, then I’ll decide,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads