Residents demand Wolfeboro Police Commissioner's resignation for slur
Many people wore handmade stickers bearing the word “Resign.” Others carried signs, including one saying, “Shame on You.”
He added: “Your job as I understand it is to create an environment that supports public safety. I feel less safe in this community if those remarks are part of our elected official’s opinion.”
“I’d like to ask you Mr. Copeland, what do you mean by this?”
John R. White’s comments received applause from the audience.
Copeland had some defenders.
Frank Bader said Copeland was expressing his opinion. “All this man did was express his displeasure with the man who’s in office,” Bader said.
“Why is the N-word so offensive to so many people? The N-word is used in ‘Tom Sawyer’ and ‘Huck Finn,’” Stockton said.
Commission Chairman Joe Balboni closed the hearing after about an hour and said the commission was going into nonpublic session.
“I’m going to think about what’s going on, then I’ll decide,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 48
- Committee rejects call for additional money to help charter schools - 4
- House group rejects sending surplus to rainy day fund - 1
- Young reappointed to AG post - 0
- Hassan won't ask for vote on new members of utility project evaluation panel - 2
- Nashua asks judge to hold secretary of state in contempt over how ballot was printed - 0
- State agency budget requests top $12 billion for next two years - 2
- Lawmakers honored for environmental work - 0
- Senate president says $70 million is the number for state budget cuts - 0
- Group continues its fight to stop development at Sunapee's West Bowl - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- Report: Cubs will hire Joe Maddon as manager - 0
- Pastoral Counseling Services honors Good Samaritans - 0
- Peterborough church plan advances after land buy - 0
- Stocks down a little after Fed move - 0
- Portsmouth retailer sells goods from across U.S. in a small 'pop-up shop' - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw