Residents demand Wolfeboro Police Commissioner's resignation for slur
Many people wore handmade stickers bearing the word “Resign.” Others carried signs, including one saying, “Shame on You.”
He added: “Your job as I understand it is to create an environment that supports public safety. I feel less safe in this community if those remarks are part of our elected official’s opinion.”
“I’d like to ask you Mr. Copeland, what do you mean by this?”
John R. White’s comments received applause from the audience.
Copeland had some defenders.
Frank Bader said Copeland was expressing his opinion. “All this man did was express his displeasure with the man who’s in office,” Bader said.
“Why is the N-word so offensive to so many people? The N-word is used in ‘Tom Sawyer’ and ‘Huck Finn,’” Stockton said.
Commission Chairman Joe Balboni closed the hearing after about an hour and said the commission was going into nonpublic session.
“I’m going to think about what’s going on, then I’ll decide,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
- Derry fire chief is retiring - 0
- Aldermen not quite ready to endorse art plan - 0
- Citing transparency, Merrimack officials won't hold private meetings with pipeline developers - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings