Home » News » Public Safety
Tractor-trailer crash snarls Route 101 traffic in Raymond
Peter Smith, 61, of North Hampton, was driving the 2010 Peterbilt tractor, registered to Abenaki Carriers of North Hampton, which was hauling a 2013 box trailer registered to Xpress Natural Gas of Baileyvville, Maine.
Just after 7 a.m., the tractor-trailer unit veered off the highway, went down an embankment, jack-knifed and rolled over. The tractor and trailer separated in the crash, with the tractor ending up facing west in the eastbound travel lane and the trailer upside down over an embankment, according to state police.
Smith suffered what appeared to be minor injuries and was treated on scene by Raymond Fire & Rescue personnel. State police said it appears driver fatigue may be a factor in the crash; however, the incident remains under investigation.
Police said the trailer carried a small amount of natural gas which was safely discharged before the trailer was uprighted. Offloading the gas was coordinated between Xpress Natural Gas officials and the Raymond Fire & Rescue workers, while the tractor and trailer were removed by Al's Automotive & Truck Center of Exeter and National Wrecker Service of Portsmouth.
At one point, traffic was backed up for up to 1 1/2 miles as crews worked to clear the scene.
Anyone with information related to the crash is asked to call trooper Alex Davis at 223-8490.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 4
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 12
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it