Home » News » Public Safety
Tractor-trailer crash snarls Route 101 traffic in Raymond
Peter Smith, 61, of North Hampton, was driving the 2010 Peterbilt tractor, registered to Abenaki Carriers of North Hampton, which was hauling a 2013 box trailer registered to Xpress Natural Gas of Baileyvville, Maine.
Just after 7 a.m., the tractor-trailer unit veered off the highway, went down an embankment, jack-knifed and rolled over. The tractor and trailer separated in the crash, with the tractor ending up facing west in the eastbound travel lane and the trailer upside down over an embankment, according to state police.
Smith suffered what appeared to be minor injuries and was treated on scene by Raymond Fire & Rescue personnel. State police said it appears driver fatigue may be a factor in the crash; however, the incident remains under investigation.
Police said the trailer carried a small amount of natural gas which was safely discharged before the trailer was uprighted. Offloading the gas was coordinated between Xpress Natural Gas officials and the Raymond Fire & Rescue workers, while the tractor and trailer were removed by Al's Automotive & Truck Center of Exeter and National Wrecker Service of Portsmouth.
At one point, traffic was backed up for up to 1 1/2 miles as crews worked to clear the scene.
Anyone with information related to the crash is asked to call trooper Alex Davis at 223-8490.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 8
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Strategery: A war by any other name
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax