Home » News » Public Safety
Tractor-trailer crash snarls Route 101 traffic in Raymond
Peter Smith, 61, of North Hampton, was driving the 2010 Peterbilt tractor, registered to Abenaki Carriers of North Hampton, which was hauling a 2013 box trailer registered to Xpress Natural Gas of Baileyvville, Maine.
Just after 7 a.m., the tractor-trailer unit veered off the highway, went down an embankment, jack-knifed and rolled over. The tractor and trailer separated in the crash, with the tractor ending up facing west in the eastbound travel lane and the trailer upside down over an embankment, according to state police.
Smith suffered what appeared to be minor injuries and was treated on scene by Raymond Fire & Rescue personnel. State police said it appears driver fatigue may be a factor in the crash; however, the incident remains under investigation.
Police said the trailer carried a small amount of natural gas which was safely discharged before the trailer was uprighted. Offloading the gas was coordinated between Xpress Natural Gas officials and the Raymond Fire & Rescue workers, while the tractor and trailer were removed by Al's Automotive & Truck Center of Exeter and National Wrecker Service of Portsmouth.
At one point, traffic was backed up for up to 1 1/2 miles as crews worked to clear the scene.
Anyone with information related to the crash is asked to call trooper Alex Davis at 223-8490.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem