Home » News » Public Safety
Tractor-trailer crash snarls Route 101 traffic in Raymond
Peter Smith, 61, of North Hampton, was driving the 2010 Peterbilt tractor, registered to Abenaki Carriers of North Hampton, which was hauling a 2013 box trailer registered to Xpress Natural Gas of Baileyvville, Maine.
Just after 7 a.m., the tractor-trailer unit veered off the highway, went down an embankment, jack-knifed and rolled over. The tractor and trailer separated in the crash, with the tractor ending up facing west in the eastbound travel lane and the trailer upside down over an embankment, according to state police.
Smith suffered what appeared to be minor injuries and was treated on scene by Raymond Fire & Rescue personnel. State police said it appears driver fatigue may be a factor in the crash; however, the incident remains under investigation.
Police said the trailer carried a small amount of natural gas which was safely discharged before the trailer was uprighted. Offloading the gas was coordinated between Xpress Natural Gas officials and the Raymond Fire & Rescue workers, while the tractor and trailer were removed by Al's Automotive & Truck Center of Exeter and National Wrecker Service of Portsmouth.
At one point, traffic was backed up for up to 1 1/2 miles as crews worked to clear the scene.
Anyone with information related to the crash is asked to call trooper Alex Davis at 223-8490.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket