Home » News » Public Safety
Deerfield man killed in early morning shed fire
The scene this morning at 72 Nottingham Road in Deerfield where a man died in a shed fire. (RYAN O'CONNOR)
Fire Chief Mark Tibbetts said the victim has been identified, but his name is not being released, pending notification of next of kin.
Tibbetts said a call came in at 4:12 a.m., after a neighbor noted flames coming out of the corner of the shed. When firefighters arrived minutes later, he said the small structure was fully engulfed in flames, and an abutting house was being exposed to the heat and flames.
The blaze was knocked down at 4:28, and Tibbetts said firefighters found the body inside.
"It was a place a person was living," the chief said of the shed. "We have three different houses on this property, and one of the guys was living in the shed year round. He had a small heater."
The state Fire Marshal's Office actively investigating the fire, added Tibbitts.
"It's not suspicious. We're just trying to determine what could have caused it," he said. "At this time, it's accidental."
Personnel from the Candia and Raymond fire departments covered the station while Deerfield firefighters battled the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 2
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS device locates stolen truck in Merrimack - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m