Home » News » Public Safety
Deerfield man killed in early morning shed fire
The scene this morning at 72 Nottingham Road in Deerfield where a man died in a shed fire. (RYAN O'CONNOR)
Fire Chief Mark Tibbetts said the victim has been identified, but his name is not being released, pending notification of next of kin.
Tibbetts said a call came in at 4:12 a.m., after a neighbor noted flames coming out of the corner of the shed. When firefighters arrived minutes later, he said the small structure was fully engulfed in flames, and an abutting house was being exposed to the heat and flames.
The blaze was knocked down at 4:28, and Tibbetts said firefighters found the body inside.
"It was a place a person was living," the chief said of the shed. "We have three different houses on this property, and one of the guys was living in the shed year round. He had a small heater."
The state Fire Marshal's Office actively investigating the fire, added Tibbitts.
"It's not suspicious. We're just trying to determine what could have caused it," he said. "At this time, it's accidental."
Personnel from the Candia and Raymond fire departments covered the station while Deerfield firefighters battled the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change