John Stossel -- Marriage: It's complicated
Some claim it’s because June was named after Juno, the Roman goddess of marriage.
A third and more plausible explanation: If a bride got pregnant in June, she wouldn’t be too big during summer to help with growing and harvesting food.
Every year, government gives the group Family Expectations $100 million to teach couples how to have “healthy relationships.” Family Expectations gives parents “crib cash” if they follow certain rules and advice.
So did politicians stop the funding? Of course not. They’re politicians — they never stop throwing your money away. This year they gave Family Expectations another $100 million.
If private individuals are free to make whatever marriage contracts and observe whatever marriage customs they like, that leaves everyone else free to ignore those couples if they don’t approve. Arrangements that work best will tend to endure.
Here’s one final, happy thought: As American media hype racial conflict in America, we should celebrate the good news that intermarriage between ethnic groups continues to increase.
John Stossel is host of “Stossel” on the Fox Business Network.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials say old Hudson library hemorrhaging money - 0
- AG sued over documents in former Rockingham County attorney case - 5
- Town tax rate about to get lower - 0
- Derry Councilors vote to change starting time of meetings: earlier time will be tried for a month - 0
- Police want to know what Goffstown stakeholders think - 0
- Few attend Derry’s meet and greet for new administrator - 0
- Two new tanks would sink nearly obsolete reservoir - 1
- Health costs up for Manchester - 20
- More angst within Nashua Historical Society - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 0
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 15
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- 2 Manchester health service groups announce merger - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- Victim in Hampton pedestrian crash files lawsuit against driver, town and state - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH