John Stossel -- Marriage: It's complicated
Some claim it’s because June was named after Juno, the Roman goddess of marriage.
A third and more plausible explanation: If a bride got pregnant in June, she wouldn’t be too big during summer to help with growing and harvesting food.
Every year, government gives the group Family Expectations $100 million to teach couples how to have “healthy relationships.” Family Expectations gives parents “crib cash” if they follow certain rules and advice.
So did politicians stop the funding? Of course not. They’re politicians — they never stop throwing your money away. This year they gave Family Expectations another $100 million.
If private individuals are free to make whatever marriage contracts and observe whatever marriage customs they like, that leaves everyone else free to ignore those couples if they don’t approve. Arrangements that work best will tend to endure.
Here’s one final, happy thought: As American media hype racial conflict in America, we should celebrate the good news that intermarriage between ethnic groups continues to increase.
John Stossel is host of “Stossel” on the Fox Business Network.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State Sen. David Boutin apologizes for lapse in judgment - 17
- New victim protections passed by Legislature celebrated - 0
- Gov. Hassan asks agency heads for conservative budgets - 2
- Hassan runs first ad as GOP claims more irregularities - 0
- Interim IT, NH tourism heads approved - 0
- Manchester lawyer urged to seek District 16 Senate seat - 0
- NH July revenues prompt spending warning - 0
- Gov. Hassan set to nominate acting IT, state tourism chiefs - 0
- Gov. Hassan to nominate acting IT, tourism chiefs - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone