John Stossel -- Marriage: It's complicated
Some claim it’s because June was named after Juno, the Roman goddess of marriage.
A third and more plausible explanation: If a bride got pregnant in June, she wouldn’t be too big during summer to help with growing and harvesting food.
Every year, government gives the group Family Expectations $100 million to teach couples how to have “healthy relationships.” Family Expectations gives parents “crib cash” if they follow certain rules and advice.
So did politicians stop the funding? Of course not. They’re politicians — they never stop throwing your money away. This year they gave Family Expectations another $100 million.
If private individuals are free to make whatever marriage contracts and observe whatever marriage customs they like, that leaves everyone else free to ignore those couples if they don’t approve. Arrangements that work best will tend to endure.
Here’s one final, happy thought: As American media hype racial conflict in America, we should celebrate the good news that intermarriage between ethnic groups continues to increase.
John Stossel is host of “Stossel” on the Fox Business Network.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Special town meeting voters oppose pipeline in Hollis - 0
- Manchester officials eye quick fixes to abandoned properties in city - 0
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
- Drug court gets funding for 3 more years - 0
- Nashua Senior Center members want budget woes discussed openly - 0
- Derry Town Council backs Conservation Commission in land use tax vote - 0
- Francestown Town Hall repairs nearing completion - 0
- Franklin eyes consolidating city, school offices - 0
- Fines proposed for alleged labor violations at Unity Elementary School construction site - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem