UNH School of Law grads urged to give back to community
U.S. Solicitor General Donald B. Verrilli Jr. addresses the gathering at Saturday's ceremony. (Tim Buckland/Union Leader)
He said he has strived to do so during his career, often defending death row inmates.His urging was echoed by fellow honorary doctorate recipient Jonathan Lippman, chief justice of the New York Court of Appeals, New York state's highest court, who said there is a "crisis" in access to justice for the poor. Lippman has mandated pro bono work for New York state law students.
Patrick Ives, student speaker for the juris doctor graduates, said he and his classmates put in the equivalent of 600,000 combined hours of legal work during their three years of law school.
Despite a forecast that had called for rain throughout Saturday, the ceremony was held outside under a tent at Concord's White Park, which is adjacent to the school, in 75 degree weather featuring blue skies.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
- Anti-bully message on display at Pinkerton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry victim of Maine shooting expected to recover - 0
- Derry man facing sex assaults wants trial, rejects plea deal - 0
- Bail set at $20,000 for escapee captured after DWI wreck of stolen car - 0
- Utility truck overturns as vehicles dodge ladder on Route 101 in Exeter - 1
- Missing inmate arrested in Rochester after crash - 3
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'