UNH School of Law grads urged to give back to community
U.S. Solicitor General Donald B. Verrilli Jr. addresses the gathering at Saturday's ceremony. (Tim Buckland/Union Leader)
He said he has strived to do so during his career, often defending death row inmates.His urging was echoed by fellow honorary doctorate recipient Jonathan Lippman, chief justice of the New York Court of Appeals, New York state's highest court, who said there is a "crisis" in access to justice for the poor. Lippman has mandated pro bono work for New York state law students.
Patrick Ives, student speaker for the juris doctor graduates, said he and his classmates put in the equivalent of 600,000 combined hours of legal work during their three years of law school.
Despite a forecast that had called for rain throughout Saturday, the ceremony was held outside under a tent at Concord's White Park, which is adjacent to the school, in 75 degree weather featuring blue skies.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 3
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'