Georgetown, Mass. man lands top fish in Winni Derby
The grand prize winner, Todd Gilbo of Georgetown, Mass., with Winni Derby Chair Diane LaBrie after the 32nd annual Winni Derby. (COURTESY)
‘He’ is Todd Gilbo of Georgetown, Mass., the grand prize winner in the Adult Salmon category with a catch weighing 3.98 pounds and measuring 22.625 inches. He will receive a $10,000 prize for landing the top fish.
The third annual Rick Davis Sportsman’s Award, presented to the fisherman whose salmon is closest in weight to the average weight of salmon landed during the derby, went to James Day of Parsonsfield, Maine, who landed a salmon weighing 2.94 pound and measuring 21.125 inches.
“Many families take part, and people who fished it as children are back here with their kids,” said LaBrie, who has headed up the Derby since the Laconia Rotary Club took over responsibility for it when its founder, Rick Davis, stepped down four years ago.
“We require all prize winners to be present to win,” said LaBrie. “As we handed out the daily prizes, there was one junior who was not present at the time we called his name. We announced his name three times, and then moved on to the next entry. I hate to see it when a child doesn’t get what he or she earned.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senior Briefs: Londonderry Senior Center has a long lineup of art classes this month - 0
- Nashua girl takes state bee title for the second time - 0
- Early summer rental benefit as winter takes its toll - 0
- Susan Dromey's Down to Earth: The winter of our fashion faux pas - 0
- Deb Baker's The Mindful Reader: 'The Half Brother': complex, thoughtful - 0
- Forest Journal: Winners & losers: Keeping score of wildlife in winter - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Ice fishing great under right conditions - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Thrush sighting brings rush of excitement - 0
- Win tickets to see Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo - 0
Last Week's Rare Bird Alert
Harrigan closes up camp
Donna Powers: NH needs casinos
Anthem breach will haunt NH 'forever'
Reading lessons from the Supreme Court
Jonah Goldberg: Is liberalism exhausted?