End of era
End of large broodstock salmon stocking angers NH anglers
Fish and Game fisheries biologist Andrew Schafermeyer and his son display one of the big brood stock salmon released in 2011. (COURTESY)
But Hoye wasn’t enjoying the fishing this time. He got word last week that this week’s stocking of about 700 fish in the Pemigewassett and Merrimack rivers will be the last of its kind. Ever.
“I come all the way here, every year, just for the broodstock, this is very sad for me,” Hoye said.
“It’s been incredible, these are Atlantic salmon in a river, they are a blast to catch, and then you let them go. The jump, they run, they pull the heck out of you. It’s just so much fun to fish for them.”
They were stocked as part of the Merrimack River Atlantic Salmon Restoration Project, which ended in September of 2013 because of poor survival of the stocked salmon and shifting priorities within the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, according to Fish and Game Department Fisheries Biologist Matt Carpenter.
“A lot of people aren’t happy, but it’s just the way it is, this will be the final season of the Atlantic salmon broodstock fishery,” Carpenter said. “By next year, they’ll all be gone.”
“It’s a better fishing experience than you can find anywhere inland, by far, they are great to catch,” Hoye said. “I don’t know, I suppose I might come up here for the trout fishing, but it just doesn’t compare.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Replicas of 19th century ships to sail off Seacoast - 0
- Goffstown considering grant application for rail trail project - 0
- Panel OKs auction house in Salem industrial district - 0
- Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour - 0
- Next sign-up begins Aug. 11 for community-supported fishery - 0
- Energy Commission lays out roadmap for improving efficiency - 0
- A taste of the Old West in Pelham at The Great Nor'easter - 0
- Salem board gives OK for expanded funeral home parking - 0
- Senior News: Lifelong Learning Institute plans fall class previews - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents