End of era
End of large broodstock salmon stocking angers NH anglers
Fish and Game fisheries biologist Andrew Schafermeyer and his son display one of the big brood stock salmon released in 2011. (COURTESY)
But Hoye wasn’t enjoying the fishing this time. He got word last week that this week’s stocking of about 700 fish in the Pemigewassett and Merrimack rivers will be the last of its kind. Ever.
“I come all the way here, every year, just for the broodstock, this is very sad for me,” Hoye said.
“It’s been incredible, these are Atlantic salmon in a river, they are a blast to catch, and then you let them go. The jump, they run, they pull the heck out of you. It’s just so much fun to fish for them.”
They were stocked as part of the Merrimack River Atlantic Salmon Restoration Project, which ended in September of 2013 because of poor survival of the stocked salmon and shifting priorities within the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, according to Fish and Game Department Fisheries Biologist Matt Carpenter.
“A lot of people aren’t happy, but it’s just the way it is, this will be the final season of the Atlantic salmon broodstock fishery,” Carpenter said. “By next year, they’ll all be gone.”
“It’s a better fishing experience than you can find anywhere inland, by far, they are great to catch,” Hoye said. “I don’t know, I suppose I might come up here for the trout fishing, but it just doesn’t compare.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Children invited to attend Woodland Storybook Walk in Wilton - 0
- Last week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Owls are a treat for the ears but very rarely for the eyes - 0
- Tune In To AMC TV This Sunday, October 26 To Watch SLASH On 'Talking Dead' - 0
- Major Gift from Volunteer Steward Aids Great Bay Reserve Boardwalk - 0
- Learn About Salmon Life Cycle at 'Salmon Sunday' - November 9, 2014 - 0
- Brian Setzer donates Gretsch Guitar to Smithsonian - 0
- Roomful of Blues to perform in Salisbury - 0
- Outstanding Volunteers of 2014 Selected for 2014 Spirit of NH Awards - 0
Last week's Rare Bird Alert
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks