Detainee collapses outside Manchester courtroom after arraignment
MANCHESTER — As the last detainee was being arraigned Monday morning in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division, a court security officer ran into the courtroom from the lobby, calling for the room to be cleared.
Judge William Lyons immediately left the bench and the security officer and police officers in the courtroom — two prosecutors and two uniformed officers who were in the courtroom for another hearing — went immediately to the door through which detainees arrive and depart and a voice was heard to say: “Call 911.”
It turned out that court security officers, who monitor the courtrooms and other areas through video camera feeds on the main floor, had seen one of the detainees collapse, out of sight of anyone in the courtroom.
Keith Olson, 45, of 290 Conant St., who had just been arraigned on charges of simple assault and criminal threatening for allegedly putting his hands around his girlfriend’s neck and telling her that he was going to choke her, complained of chest pains and collapsed, He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.
Olson had unsuccessfully sought to have a proposed $1,000 cash/surety bail converted to personal recognizance, telling the judge: “I’m a full-time student. I also work.”Lyons said Olson’s criminal history barred personal recognizance bail, but he reduced the bail to $500 cash/surety. Trial was set for June 18. Shortly after that Olson left the courtroom and collapsed.
As EMTs arrived to assist Olson, the court session reconvened a floor above and the arraignment of the last detainee, Terri Vietze, 33, of 630 Silver St., was completed.
Vietze, who is accused of assaulting her husband, Michael, also sought personal recognizance bail, telling the judge: “I haven’t been in trouble in three years.”
Lyons reduced the proposed bail from $1,000 to $500 cash/surety, with conditions that bar contact with the alleged victim. Trial was set for June 18.
A convicted felon who allegedly confronted his roommate with a handgun during an argument, and chambered a round, was arraigned Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division.
Nathan Albertson, who turns 31 today, could enter no plea to charges of felony criminal threatening, felon in possession of a dangerous weapon and possession of narcotics with intent to sell, for having drugs including cocaine and suboxone.
A police prosecutor sought $50,000 cash/surety bail for Albertson, noting he has at least three drug convictions, including one in 2011 that carried a 2- to 4-year prison sentence.
Albertson, whose address is listed simply as Hemlock Street, told Judge William Lyons he thought the bail was excessive, but Lyons said the repetitive drug-related behavior warrants a high bail, which includes conditions barring contact with the alleged victim.
Police prosecutor Carrissa Pelletier also requested a hearing on the source of any funds offered for bail. A probable cause hearing was set for June 4.
Two charges in two weeks
Michael Russo hadn’t been arraigned yet on a May 2 misdemeanor theft by unauthorized taking charge when he allegedly committed an armed robbery May 16.
Russo, 22, of 1205 Goffstown Road, had been released on the theft charge, which alleges he took jeans and T-shirts from Macy’s in the Mall of New Hampshire, and scheduled to be arraigned in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division June 6.
But he was arrested Friday on an armed robbery charge that alleges he took wire and other material from Home Depot, 129 March Ave. When a loss prevention officer confronted him, Russo allegedly pulled out a large knife and made jabbing gestures at the man.
Russo was arraigned on both charges Monday, plus a contempt charge for allegedly committing a new crime while out on personal recognizance bail on the theft charge.
Police prosecutor Carrissa Pelletier requested $7,500 cash/surety bail for Russo, saying he has no criminal record, but the rapidly escalating behavior is of concern.
A probable cause hearing on the felony robbery charge was set for June 4 and trial on the misdemeanors was set for June 18.
Charged with assault
A Salem man, accused of throwing a lighter at his girlfriend’s back and grabbing her wrist, Monday told Circuit Court-Manchester District Division Judge William Lyons that the alleged victim doesn’t want to press charges.
Thomas Mignanelli, 32. of 12 Lake Road, pleaded innocent to two misdemeanor charges of simple assault, saying: “Some of that stuff in there (complaints) is not true.”
A police prosecutor requested $1,500 cash/surety bail for Mignanelli, saying he has convictions for violation of probation/parole, violation of a protective order and assault. Bail conditions bar contact with the alleged victim. Trial was set for June 18.
Had a loaded handgun
Police said Joshua Robinson, 32, of 24 Malvern St., who was in an area where they were investigating a report of a dispute involving a gun, had a loaded handgun in his possession. Police also allege Robinson ran from officers who had told him to stop.
Because he has been convicted of a felony and is prohibited from having a gun, he was charged with and arraigned on a charge of felon in possession of a dangerous weapon. He was also charged with misdemeanor resisting arrest.
Bail was set at $15,000 cash/surety, although it will not become effective unless a 72-hour probation/parole hold is lifted. A probable cause hearing was set for June 4 and trial on the misdemeanor was set for June 18.
Francis McLaughlin, 21, who lists a homeless shelter as his address, was in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division Monday on two theft by unauthorized taking charges that allege he took items from Market Basket, 460 Elm St., without paying for them, on two separate occasions.
He had been released initially on personal recognizance, but failed to appear in court twice, with the last failure to appear May 15.
McLaughlin said that he’s homeless and his priority is meals and a place to stay. “Does that mean I’m out on (personal recognizance) today?” he asked Judge William Lyons. The answer was “no.” Lyons said: “You had that and you didn’t show up.” Bail now is $1,000 cash/surety, with another $1,000 owed for McLaughlin’s failure to appear when released on personal recognizance, which carries a promise to pay if the person fails to appear.Bail conditions bar McLaughlin from Market Basket. Trial was set for June 18.
Riding without lights
Police said when a man was spotted riding a bicycle without lights down the middle of Beech Street at about 9:40 Sunday night, he was stopped and, based on further investigation, found in possession of a small amount of heroin.
William Webb, 35, who lists the homeless services center at 140 Central St. as his address, was arraigned Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a felony charge of possession of a narcotic and on a violation of operating a bicycle without lights at night.
A police prosecutor successfully sought $5,000 cash/surety bail for Webb, who is on parole and has a pending drug case in Hillsborough County Superior Court North. A probable cause hearing on the felony was set for June 4, when there will be a status hearing on the violation.
Slumped over the wheel
Police said they were called to the parking lot of a Union Street laundromat at 8:20 Saturday morning to check the condition of a man slumped over the wheel of a parked vehicle.
Officers Neil Penttinen and Lou Krawczyk reported finding Michael Wright, 38, of 15 W. Broadway, Derry, slumped over the wheel of a Chevy Trailblazer. Penttinen also reported a needle and bottle cap containing a brownish liquid were in Wright’s lap. The man was awakened and the liquid identified as heroin.
Wright was arraigned Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a felony charge of possession of a narcotic and a probable cause hearing was set for June 4.
A police prosecutor, noting Wright’s convictions for bail jumping and forgery, requested $5,000 cash/surety bail. Wright asked for personal recognizance, but Judge William Lyons said that since there is a 72-hour probation/parole hold on Wright, a drug charge was bound over to Hillsborough County Superior Court, and since Wright is out on bail from Superior Court, personal recognizance bail was not appropriate. A probable cause hearing was set for June 4.