Home » News » Public Safety
Fire started by car in garage destroys Alexandria home
The two-alarm fire was called after a 911 call from the owner of the home at 8:07 a.m., said Fire Chief Mark Chevalier.
According to town officials, the owner of the home is Mike Putnam.
When he got to the scene, Chevalier called for a second alarm. He chose two alarms “because of the time of day, a lot of people are working, so I knew manpower would be a challenge,” he said.
Firefighters from 10 communities arrived at the home, but there was little that could be saved of the small house.
Putnam and his daughter were put in touch with the American Red Cross, but fire department officials weren’t sure if they needed or were provided temporary housing.
There were no injuries.
“It was clear that it started in the car somewhere, it was a mechanical problem of some sort. He had just been driving it, but he hadn’t noticed any problems,” he said.
“It was incinerated,” Butler said.
Fire departments from Bridgewater, Bristol, Danbury, East Andover, Franklin, Hebron, Hill, New Hampton and Plymouth joined Alexandria crews in battling the fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test