Fire started by car in garage destroys Alexandria homeBy DAN SEUFERT
Union Leader Correspondent
May 20. 2014 8:13PM
ALEXANDRIA — A car in a homeowner’s garage caught fire Tuesday morning, setting the garage and the attached house on fire. The home was destroyed, and at least two people were left homeless.
The two-alarm fire was called after a 911 call from the owner of the home at 8:07 a.m., said Fire Chief Mark Chevalier.
“He called and said there was a fire in the garage,” Chevalier said.
According to town officials, the owner of the home is Mike Putnam.
When he got to the scene, Chevalier called for a second alarm. He chose two alarms “because of the time of day, a lot of people are working, so I knew manpower would be a challenge,” he said.
The fire quickly spread from the car in the garage to the garage roof. It had also spread to the attached 1,500-square-foot house and was moving along the roof of the modular home as it destroyed the home’s insides.
“A lot of the modular homes don’t have much of an attack, and that was the case here, the fire went through there quickly,” said Chief Emeritus and firefighter Fran Butler.
Firefighters from 10 communities arrived at the home, but there was little that could be saved of the small house.
“It’s a total loss,” Chevalier said.
Putnam and his daughter were put in touch with the American Red Cross, but fire department officials weren’t sure if they needed or were provided temporary housing.
There were no injuries.
To find the cause of the fire, Chevalier retraced the fire’s path to Putnam’s car, which he had parked in the garage after having just returned home from work.
“It was clear that it started in the car somewhere, it was a mechanical problem of some sort. He had just been driving it, but he hadn’t noticed any problems,” he said.
The vehicle was burned beyond recognition, firefighters said.
“It was incinerated,” Butler said.
Fire departments from Bridgewater, Bristol, Danbury, East Andover, Franklin, Hebron, Hill, New Hampton and Plymouth joined Alexandria crews in battling the fire.