Betsy McCaughey: For seniors, an Obamacare gimmick costly in cash and health
Nationwide, readmissions are dropping because Section 3025 of Obamacare punishes hospitals if a senior returns within 30 days.
To dodge the penalty, hospitals put the patient under “observation.” It’s just a word on the chart. The patient may get the same tests and be put in the same room as if he had been admitted. But unless he stays at least two nights, the hospital won’t bill Medicare for a stay, and the patient gets clobbered with the cost.
Penalizing readmissions, which started in 2013, is one of the law’s tricks to reduce Medicare spending, never mind the impact on seniors. Cuts in future Medicare spending pay for more than half the law’s cost — robbing Grandma to fund health-care coverage for other groups.
Betsy McCaughey is former lieutenant governor of New York and author of Beating Obamacare: 2014. Her website is www.BetsyMcCaughey.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Cheshire commissioners to gather public opinion on county nursing home plans - 0
- Waterville Valley nearing completion of water system upgrade and first public works garage - 0
- Merrimack council decides to save much of $854k surplus - 0
- Nashua Airport divisiveness prompts request for liaison - 0
- Nashua aldermen to consider communication upgrades - 0
- Bronstein Park policy questioned by NHCLU official - 5
- Derry gets grant for new scrap metal recycling trailer - 0
- Goffstown CIP committee wraps up for year, sends work to planning board - 0
- Derry councilors narrow list for town administrator post - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate