Father at center of Gilford High School book controversy gets national attention
Baer admits to both claims. A birther is slang for a person who does not believe President Barack Obama was born a U.S. citizen.
Baer was arrested at the meeting after arguing with another parent about Gilford High School’s use of the book “Nineteen Minutes” by bestselling author Jodi Picoult. Baer found a graphic sexual passage in the book, and objected because the school had not given parents proper notice that their children were assigned such books.
And several sites researched and found that Baer, when he lived in New Jersey a few years ago, was a vocal questioner of President Obama’s birth place.
Baer readily admitted that he was once active in a New Jersey political group that questioned whether Obama was really born in America. He said he’s still not sure about the President’s birthplace, but is no longer heavily invested in the cause.
And though Baer has made himself available to stand before a camera for lots of news outlets in the past two weeks, he said he doesn’t want or like being in the spotlight.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
- Derry fire chief is retiring - 0
- Aldermen not quite ready to endorse art plan - 0
- Citing transparency, Merrimack officials won't hold private meetings with pipeline developers - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'