Father at center of Gilford High School book controversy gets national attention
Baer admits to both claims. A birther is slang for a person who does not believe President Barack Obama was born a U.S. citizen.
Baer was arrested at the meeting after arguing with another parent about Gilford High School’s use of the book “Nineteen Minutes” by bestselling author Jodi Picoult. Baer found a graphic sexual passage in the book, and objected because the school had not given parents proper notice that their children were assigned such books.
And several sites researched and found that Baer, when he lived in New Jersey a few years ago, was a vocal questioner of President Obama’s birth place.
Baer readily admitted that he was once active in a New Jersey political group that questioned whether Obama was really born in America. He said he’s still not sure about the President’s birthplace, but is no longer heavily invested in the cause.
And though Baer has made himself available to stand before a camera for lots of news outlets in the past two weeks, he said he doesn’t want or like being in the spotlight.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 1
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Stopping the worst people on earth - 0
- Lynn Preston's NH Legal Perspectives: What prospective real estate purchasers need to know - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: 'Mirror' approach reflects important role of humans in dog training - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The media and the mob - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate