City budget tension rising in Manchester
The tensions erupted at Tuesday’s Board of Mayor and Aldermen meeting, after Alderman-at-Large Dan O’Neil presented a list of questions to Mayor Ted Gatsas concerning what would happen if the budget he presented earlier in the year, which contains a $6 million shortfall, was to become the default budget.
Had the aldermen been more receptive to new revenue ideas, in particular a pay-as-you-throw system of trash collection, there might have been a way, he said. “I think the aldermen need to start looking at these for next year,” he said.
He said much of the discussion on the budget on Tuesday was “destructive” rather than “constructive.”
He noted that, if the aldermen did not agree on a revised budget, Gatsas’ original plan, with the $6 million shortfall, would become the default budget. The city’s finance director has since raised his estimate of the budget hole to $7.5 million.
Alderman-at-Large Joe Kelly Levasseur said it wasn’t politics to ask hard questions of the mayor.
A tax cap override must be approved by 10 of the 14 aldermen. The aldermen must also determine the margin by which a proposed budget exceeds the tax cap.
Ward 7 Alderman William Shea, who is regarded as the dean of the board, urged his colleagues to work together. “I hate the blame game,” he said, “I’m not sure how we’re going to keep working together if we keep throwing bombs at each other.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
- Veterans help build Nashua Habitat home - 0
- Credit union donates to Honor Flight - 0
- Veterans Briefs: Post 2 events - 0
- Pinkerton freshmen say thanks in cards to veterans - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Weare American Legion plans annual turkey raffle - 0
- Author says Dover's Veterans Day ceremony inspired her book - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins - 0
- Dowd's goal wins for Manchester - 0
- John Habib's City Sports:'Moment' is here: Derryfield CC renovation begins - 0
- Driver charged with DWI after mayhem on I-293 - 0
- Department of Employment Security sends confidential ID info to wrong firms - 0
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 0
- Man, 86, struck by car while crossing street in Manchester - 0
- Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding - 0
- Hot deals, warm shoppers - 0
Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding
Day Three in the dark for many in NH
Derry holiday parade to be held today
Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins