Home » News » Public Safety
Water contamination shuts down Pease tradeport well
Dave Mullen, executive director of the Pease Development Authority, said Thursday that the Haven Well’s closure hadn’t affected water services at Pease. Mullen said the city of Portsmouth operates water services at the tradeport and could supplement water supplies if necessary.
The New Hampshire departments of environmental services and health and human services said Thursday that the contaminant was one of a class of chemicals known as perfluorochemicals, or PFCs. Portsmouth’s water system was not affected, the departments said.
The state departments said Air Force operations decades ago could have led to the contamination.
“It is suspected that firefighting foam used by the Air Force starting around 1970 for plane crashes and training exercises contained PFCs that leached into the ground and consequently contaminated the well,” the departments said.
Wimsatt said the samples that led to Thursday’s closure were taken in April and confirmed this month.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with school - 0
- UPDATED: Driver killed in crash on Route 101A in Amherst is identified - 1
- Need a job? The NH State Prison wants you - 0
- Man dies, toddler rescued in Manchester apartment fire - 0
- Motorist struck by car while changing tire on I-93 in Londonderry - 2
- Man, 60, found dead in burned Manchester apartment building; 1-year-old boy rescued - 1
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 35
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA: Lancers beat South - 0
- College Football: St. Anselm football loses third straight game - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Tough decisions loom for Legion - 0
- A good first impression - 0
- NHIAA: Exeter keeps Memorial attack at bay - 0
- Windham clinches first with huge win - 0
- NHIAA: Campbell thumps Brady - 0
- NHIAA: Brummett scores 5 for Derryfield - 0
- NHIAA: Souhegan advances in OT - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks
A good first impression
Thieves target cars in Hollis neighborhood