Biologists shocked endangered loons killed in Gilford and Dover
But the shootings shook the LPC staff, which works tirelessly with volunteers every year to preserve the state's current 284 pairs of loons.
On Tuesday, Fish and Game was notified that a loon had been found wounded in a field near the Cocheco River in Dover. The bird had been hit in the abdomen on Monday, but the wound was not fatal, said Vogel.
"The loon in Dover was rehabilitated and was able to be released back into the wild," Vogel said, explaining that the bullet was lodged near the bird's shoulder.
"It may still die," Vogel said. "It was determined that it was safer to leave the bullet in the bird than to try and remove it."Later on Tuesday, Fish and Game officials were called to the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee in Gilford near Varney Point. A loon was found dead there of a gunshot wound, authorities said."That loon had been shot on Tuesday and was dead," Vogel said.
Union Leader staff writer Shawne K. Wickham contributed to this report.
- KORN Take On The 'Haters' With New Fan-assisted Video - 0
- Proposed Hike Safe Card Rule Hearing Set for September 8 - 0
- Mr. Mac's announces a new fundraiser program - 0
- Loeb School Seeks 1st Amendment Award Nominees - 0
- Loeb School offers Public Speaking Workshop Sept 13th - 0
- Conservation Officers and OHRV Safety Instructor Honored - 0
- Ted Nugent wraps up summer 'SHUTUP&JAM!' Tour with Sold-Out Concert benefitting The 'Show Of Support Memorial' For Our Troops - 0
- Folk legend John Gorka live in concert at the Peterborough Players Theatre - 0
- Goffstown resident obtains driveway permit waiver, but still questions practice - 0
Billy Ray Cyrus joins Dave Stewart, Martina McBride and an all-star crowd for 'The Beatles' 50th at the Bowl' Aug. 22-24 at the Hollywood BowlREADER COMMENTS: 0
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen
NH business taxes among highest, study finds
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
AG asked to investigate Hemingway campaign donations after complaint filed by Grantham attorney with Sununu ties